Below is a checklist of things you may want to consider before your consultation. The list is designed to help you stay focussed on your consultation so that you can get the most from it. While not a comprehensive list, hopefully it will prompt some thought about addressing some questions and concerns you may have.
- Tell your doctor about any treatments or drugs you are currently taking
- Tell your doctor about any other conditions you may have
- Be honest about your alcohol consumption
- Have you been experiencing any new symptoms?
- How long have you had them?
- Are they there all the time or do they come and go?
- Is there anything that makes them better or worse?
- Have you tried any remedies yourself? If yes, what, and have they successful?
- Have they affected your ability to work?
- Have they affected your everyday life/relationships?
- Is there anything they can recommend to relieve the symptoms?
- Are symptoms an indication of disease progression?
- Why are you having the test?
- Where, when and how will it be carried out?
- How long will you need to wait for results?
- Who will give you the test results?
- What is the result of the test?
- What does the result mean?
- Will the test need to be repeated, if so how regularly?
- Are further or additional tests necessary?
- Will treatment be necessary?
- What are your treatment options?
- Are you having difficulty with your current treatment?
- Is there a particular aspect of your treatment plan that is causing a problem?
- Have you tried to remedy the situation yourself? If yes, has this been at all successful?
- Do you want some additional information about your treatment?
- Is there any alternative/complementary treatment that could replace or assist your current treatment?
- Do you want advice about alternative/complementary treatment options?
- Are you concerned about your general health or a specific aspect of your health?
- Are you having difficulty with your diet or appetite?
- Are you concerned about transmission of hepatitis C?
- Is there something about your care that you would like some additional information on?
- Are you seeking a referral for another specialist, e.g. dietician, physiotherapist?
- Can your specialist provide your partner/family/friend with some information about hepatitis, its transmission, disease progression and treatment?
- Does your specialist know of any support agencies?