Skip navigation |

Disability living allowance

Disability living allowance is divided into a care component and a mobility component.

Care Component

The care component considers the amount of attention, help or supervision you need to care for yourself. This can include, washing, dressing, using the toilet, eating, communicating with others, and taking medication. It does not consider the type of help you receive, but the type and frequency of help you need (whether you get the help or not).

Mobility Component

The mobility component considers the amount of help you need to get around. This will consider any difficulty you have in walking i.e. how far you can walk, how long it will take, and whether you experience pain or symptoms such as difficulty breathing. This component also considers whether you need help to ensure you reach your destination, e.g. are you likely to get confused or lost. It is possible to qualify for one component or both. Awards for both components will consider both physical and mental symptoms and conditions that impact on your ability to care for yourself and get around. In the case of hepatitis C common symptoms of brain fog, confusion, poor memory and depression may all influence your claim and should be considered. (see Filling in Forms under 'Help' for more) If you experience good and bad days, you may find it useful to keep a diary that records any difficulties you have in caring for yourself and getting around on bad days, this will enable you to focus on the type and frequency of help you need.

Disabled living allowance is a benefit that is paid if you need help looking after yourself, have severe difficulty walking, or need help getting around. It is paid at different rates depending on how your disability affects you. You may be entitled to disability living allowance if you have needed help for 3 months because of a physical or mental illness or disability and you are likely to need it for at least another 6 months. You can receive disability living allowance even if no one is actually giving you the care you need. It is not affected by your savings or other sources of income and is not considered in any calculation for entitlement to income support. Disability living allowance has two separate components. A care component and a mobility component, each component has two or three levels, higher, middle and lower. As a guide the following rates are paid (April 20011)

Care Component

  • Higher rate £77.45
  • Middle rate £51.85
  • Lower rate £20.55

Mobility Component

  • Higher rate £54.05
  • Lower rate £20.55

Disability Living Allowance

The personal independence payment replaces working age disability living allowance from April2013. It will have two parts

Daily Living Component

  • Standard Rate – If you have limited ability to carry out activities with day to day living
  • Enhanced Rate- If you have severely limited ability to carry out day to day living activities.

Mobility Component

  • Standard Rate- If you have a limited ability to carry out mobility tasks.
  • Enhanced Rate- If you have a severely limited ability with mobility tasks.

In order to Qualify you will have to score a number of pts (like ESA) in a number of activity tasks. Depending on the score if you qualify you will be paid the standard rate, or enhanced Rate.

An independent health advisor will look at the claim and any evidence from G.P /Consultant and request you attend a face to face consultant with the advisor. You should take someone with you family member, carer or someone else. The DWP will decide if you qualify for PIP and what rate. They will tell you the length of the award and when it will be reviewed.

Transport Help

In addition to assistance with mobility available via the disability working allowance some local authorities issue transport concessions. Very often these are referred to as freedom passes. These passes are usually awarded to senior citizens and people with disabilities. The scheme is operated by the local authority and application for a pass should be made direct to the civic centre or town hall.